Friday, July 1, 2011

July 4th BBQ: Say NO to Bad Hot Dogs & Burgers!

Ah, the 4th of July. Chances are, you'll be chowing down on some hot dogs and burgers. Let's hope you're not eating some shriveled up and dry hot dog or some overcooked hockey-puck sized burger. I go to an annual homeowner's association community BBQ, and they have the EXACT same food every single year... for the last, oh decade or so. What do they have? Yep, you guessed it. Shriveled up hot dogs and overcooked burgers.

I don't know about you, but I'm tired of the usual hot dogs and burgers. That's why I'm so happy using the Weber Smoky Mountain where I can smoke meats for TRUE BBQ. Sure, it's more expensive and takes longer, but there is such a huge satisfaction and self accomplishment when you take that first juicy, tender bite of a smoked brisket. Speaking of, I'll definitely be smoking some BBQ during the July 4th weekend. I'm already salivating.


Check out some July 4th stats:

Number of hotdogs to be consumed on July 4th: 150 million
Amount of chicken purchased in the week leading up to July 4th: 700 million pounds
Amount of red meat/pork purchased in the week leading up to July 4th: 190 million pounds
Percentage of American households with outdoor grills: 87
Percentage of American households with Weber Smoky Mountains: WAY TOO LOW!